How to make sure you keep your kids safe in your vehicle:
- Find a car seat that fits your child. As children grow, how they sit in your car will change. Make sure the car seat you buy is designed to fit your child’s current size and age.
- Make sure that the car seat is the right fit for your car. Not all car seats fit in all cars. Test the car seat you plan to buy to make sure it fits well in your car.
- Choose the right direction (rear- or forward-facing).
– Infants (birth to 1 year): should sit in a rear-facing seat with the harness straps at shoulder level
– Toddlers (up to 4 years): if your child is older than 1 year they can sit in forward-facing seats, with the harness straps at their shoulders.
- Avoid using an old or second-hand seat.
- Teach your child basic vehicle safety tips, like sitting still on the seat, using all parts of the seatbelt to protect themselves, not letting anybody parts hang out of the window, staying calm in the back seat etc.