Car insurance companies will work out how much you premium is from the information you provide. If all things remain equal it can be a little higher each year, so here are a few tips that might help you to reduce your motor insurance.
- Have an alarm fitted, but talk to your insurance company before picking one. They often recognise certain makes and will give you a discount if your car has one fitted. This also applies to any other ant-theft devices.
- You may be surprised how much of a discount the insurance company will give if they know your car is securely parked overnight, a garage being the ideal.
- Increasing the excess, if you have one, will reduce your insurance. You need to be certain you would be able to afford the excess in the event of an accident before taking this step.
- Keep driving safely to maintain your no claims discount. Over several years this reduces your premium a great deal, which is why when some drivers have a minor bump, it’s cheaper to pay for any repairs out of their own pocket.
- Some cars are more likely to be stolen than others, so be carful when making your choice. Highly desirable cars and high performance cars will always attract a high insurance premium.
- Talk to your insurance company. They want your business, as without customers they would not exist. Ask what deals they have and if there is anything else you can do to reduce the amount you have to pay. Never be afraid to tell them you will go elsewhere.