10 Tips To Help Keep Your Car In Good Condition
Keeping your car running smoothly is very important if you need to use it for your daily commute to work, or for any other regular journeys. There are things you can do to help keep it in good order.
- Nothing will ruin your engine quicker than a lack of oil. Keep it topped up and change the oil filters on a regular basis.
- Flushing the coolant and replacing it once a year with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water will stop corrosion of the system and help your car to keep running smoothly.
- Change the transmission and other oils are at the right level. If they’re not, replace with the fluids recommended by the manufacturer.
- When you’re cleaning your care it’s a good idea to hose the salt and mud from the underside as well.
- If a part moves it needs lubricating to prevent it from seizing. Check all the relevant parts are properly lubricated.
- A coat of a good quality wax a couple of times a year will help to keep your car looking good as new while providing protection against the weather.
- Don’t forget to lubricate the driveline, although you may have to remove it to do a good job.
- Apply a UV protectant to plastics and vinyls to stop them drying out and cracking.
- Clean and regrease the wheel bearings at intervals suggested by the maker. This is not expensive to do and is far better than losing a wheel while you are driving.
- Brake fluid attracts moisture, which can cause corrosion to your components. Replace it regularly, as this is far cheaper than having to buy new brake parts.